Wednesday, October 21, 2015

And I Sometimes See a Falling Star...

Rose hip harvest.    Fall 2015
It is December in Wicklow:
Alders dripping, birches
Inheriting the last light,
The ash tree cold to look at.

A comet that was lost
Should be visible at sunset,
Those million tons of light
Like a glimmer of haws and rose-hips,

And I sometimes see a falling star.
If I could come on meteorite!
Instead I walk through damp leaves,
Husks, the spent flukes of autumn,...
-from "Exposure", Seamus Heaney

Commonly known as Dog rose, Dog Brier, Brier Rose, Rose hips always remind me of the coming of Fall.  As a young woman, wanting to "live off the land", I would collect bright red rose hips, grind them and make a Vitamin C packed tea.

Here is my simple recipe, I hope you enjoy!

Rose Hip Tea
-Place fresh or crushed dried rose hips in a mason jar.
-Pour boiling water over them and steep, covered for 10 minutes.
-Add honey, stevia to sweeten


No comments:

Post a Comment